The use of crystals, gemstones, and minerals for healing is an ancient practice that spans many cultures. The ancient Egyptians used crystals to align the four main energy centers in the body, known as chakras. They also used them to improve mental clarity, increase spiritual awareness, and promote physical healing. Other cultures have also used crystals for similar purposes.
Modern science has begun to study the effects of crystals on the body and mind. Some studies have shown that when people hold or meditate with crystals, they experience a decrease in blood pressure and heart rate and an increase in brain waves associated with relaxation and meditation.
In this article, you’ll learn all about crystals, gemstones, and minerals and their healing properties.
Crystals vs. gemstones vs. minerals
Crystals, gemstones, and minerals are all made of the same thing: rocks. However, they are different in terms of their appearance and how they are used.
Crystals are typically clear or translucent. They have a smooth surface and are often used in jewelry. Gemstones are typically colorful and have a more irregular surface than crystals. They are often cut and polished, and set in jewelry or used for decoration. Minerals can be both clear (crystals) and colorful (gemstones) but also come in a wide variety of shapes and forms. Although minerals are not typically used for adornment like gemstones or made into household items like crystals, they do inspire many people with their natural beauty.
While people might use these three interchangeably, they differ in terms of their healing properties. Crystals are the most versatile and can be used for a wide variety of purposes. Gemstones are often used to heal specific areas or conditions of the body. Minerals are used to energize and balance the body’s chakras.
What about birthstones?
In many cultures, birthstones have been used to enhance the healing properties of crystals. In Western culture, people typically wear their birthstone as a personalized ring or use it in jewelry they make themselves. Here are the most common birthstones by month:
- January – Garnet
- February – Amethyst
- March – Aquamarine or Bloodstone
- April – Diamond
- May – Emerald
- June – Alexandrite or Moonstone
- July – Ruby
- August – Peridot
- September – Sapphire or Sardonyx (alternative birthstone for September)
- October – Tourmaline or Opal (alternative birthstone for October)
- November – Topaz or Citrine (alternative birthstones for November)
- December – Turquoise or Tanzanite (alternative birthstones for December)
Note that, in some cultures, different stones are used to celebrate the birth of a child. This can include minerals like malachite or obsidian.
Potential healing properties
The potential healing properties of crystals, gemstones, and minerals are vast. They can be used for energy work, finding balance, grounding, chakra balancing, meditation practices, and so much more.
Each type of stone has its own unique properties. Many people keep their stones with them throughout the day or consecrate them in a special place so that they can enjoy their healing effects all day long.
Here are some of the most well-known crystals, gemstones, and minerals and how they can be used for healing:
- Clear quartz: Considered the master healer because it has so many uses. It is used in clear quartz crystal healing and in gemstone therapy.
- Ruby: Used to increase confidence and self-esteem, especially in women. Some believe this stone can also help ease depression and improve feelings of hope and happiness. It’s related to the root chakra (red).
- Amethyst: Often used to relieve stress and anxiety. It is also thought to be helpful in fighting addiction and associated with the crown chakra (purple).
- Aventurine: Said to be a stone of luck, good fortune, and abundance. It’s also known to help with emotional healing, especially after a traumatic experience, and associated with the heart chakra (green).
If you’re interested in using crystals, gemstones, or minerals for healing, it’s best to do some research on your own to find suitable stones for you. With a bit of experimentation, you’re sure to find that these stones can help improve your health and well-being in various ways.
The seven chakras and their healing properties
There is much information available on the internet about the seven chakras and their corresponding gemstones. Here is a brief overview of each:
- First chakra (red): Located at the base of the spine, this chakra is associated with grounding and security. The gemstone ruby is thought to help open this chakra.
- Second chakra (orange): Located in the stomach area, this chakra is associated with feelings of pleasure and satisfaction. The gemstone citrine is thought to help open this chakra.
- Third chakra (yellow): Located at the solar plexus, this chakra is associated with creativity and courage. The gemstones yellow topaz or citrine are thought to help open this chakra.
- Fourth chakra (green): Located in the heart, this chakra is associated with love and compassion. The gemstones emerald or peridot are thought to help open this chakra.
- Fifth chakra (blue): Located at the throat, this chakra is associated with communication and self-expression. The gemstone sapphire is thought to help open this chakra.
- Sixth chakra (indigo): Located between the eyebrows, this chakra is associated with intuition and psychic abilities. The gemstone amethyst is thought to help open this chakra.
- Seventh chakra (violet or white): Located at the crown of the head, this chakra is associated with enlightenment and spiritual connection. The gemstone quartz is thought to help open this chakra.
The science behind
Researchers are still exploring the potential benefits of crystals, gemstones, and minerals and how they can be used to improve our health. However, there is mounting evidence that these stones may positively affect health and well-being.
One study found that energy from different crystals could be detected and measured. Another study showed that different gemstones could change the brain’s electrical activity. It might be some time before these findings are fully understood, but it seems clear that crystals, gemstones, and minerals may affect our physical and emotional states.
The potential healing properties of crystals, gemstones, and minerals are vast. They can be used for various purposes, from energy work to chakra balancing to meditation. With some research and experimentation, you’re sure to find that these stones can help improve your health and well-being in various ways.