It’s no secret that kitchen remodels can be costly, time-consuming, and stressful. But with a little bit of planning and forethought, you can avoid some common mistakes that can make your kitchen remodel a nightmare.
- Not Planning for the Future: It’s important to think about how your family might change in the future when planning kitchen remodeling in Willingboro, NJ. If you’re planning on having children, for example, you’ll need to make sure that your kitchen can accommodate a high chair or play area. If you’re empty-nesters, on the other hand, you might want to downsize your kitchen and get rid of unnecessary features.
- Not Considering the Resale Value: If you’re planning on selling your home in the future, it’s important to consider the resale value of your kitchen remodels. In Willingboro, NJ, kitchens sell homes, so it’s important to make sure that your kitchen will appeal to potential buyers. If you’re planning on a complete gut job, for example, you might want to consider toning it down a bit so that it’s more neutral and appeal to a wider range of buyers.
- Not Budgeting Properly: Whether you are planning to get kitchen or bathroom remodeling services in Willingboro, NJ, it is important to set a budget and stick to it. It’s easy to get caught up in the excitement of a remodel and overspend, so ensure to plan and figure out how much you can realistically afford to spend.
- Not Hiring a Professional: While it might be tempting to try to do your kitchen remodel yourself, it’s important to hire a professional kitchen remodeling company. Professional kitchen remodelers have the experience and expertise to get the job done right, and they can also help you avoid making common mistakes.
- Not Getting Permits: Before beginning any major kitchen remodeling project in Willingboro, NJ, it’s important to make sure that you have all the necessary permits. Failure to get the proper permits can result in hefty fines, and it can also delay your project.
- Not Planning for Downtime: One of the most stressful parts of a kitchen remodel is dealing with the inevitable downtime. If you’re not prepared for it, the downtime can be frustrating and stressful. Be sure to plan and have some activities planned for the days when you can’t use your kitchen.
- Not Checking References: When hiring a contractor for your kitchen remodel, it’s important to check references. Make sure to ask for a list of previous clients and call them to ask about their experience with the contractor. This will help you avoid hiring a contractor who doesn’t have a good track record.
- Not Shopping Around: It’s important to compare prices when you’re planning your kitchen remodel. Don’t just go with the first contractor you meet; be sure to get quotes from several different contractors so that you can compare prices and services.
- Not Being Realistic: When it comes to kitchen remodeling, it’s important to be realistic about your expectations. If you’re expecting a complete gut job, you might be disappointed if the contractor only replaces the countertops. On the other hand, if you’re expecting a minor facelift, you might be surprised at how much can be accomplished. Be sure to discuss your expectations with your contractor so that there are no surprises.
- Not Communicating: One of the most important aspects of any remodeling project is communication. Be sure to keep your contractor updated on your progress and be available to answer any questions they might have. If you’re not available, your contractor might feel like they’re in the dark and this can lead to frustration on both sides.
Kitchen remodeling is a big job, but it doesn’t have to be overwhelming. By following these ten tips, you can avoid making common mistakes and make your kitchen remodel a success. TruHomes, LLC is a full-service home remodeling company serving Willingboro, NJ, and the surrounding area. We have vast experience in kitchen and bathroom remodeling, and we’re dedicated to providing our clients with the highest quality workmanship and customer service.
When you’re ready to start your kitchen remodel, contact us at 856-236-6769 to schedule a free consultation. We’ll sit down with you and discuss your goals, budget, and timeline so that we can create a customized plan that fits your needs.